Monday, January 28, 2013

Princess Days: Jasmine




What do an egg cup, some genie pants, a fistful of cotton, and a mouth full of crackers have to do with one another? They were all part of our second Disney princess day (click here for an explanation), all about Aladdin, Jasmine, the Genie, and Abu!





This movie came out when I was 6 years old. I loved wearing my special Jasmine pajamas! (I was almost 9 here.) 




Yes, Aladdin was released on November 11, 1992 and quickly became a Disney classic. Of course, it is a different and toned-down version of the original story, but that’s what Disney does best.




And now, may we be transported to the Middle East in the Middle Ages – “Arabian Nights, like Arabian days, more often than not are hotter than hot in a lot of good ways!”

 

THE COLOR: blue, of course! I wore my special genie pants, and Tuttie Fruiti honored us by dressing up as Abu!




THE FOOD: We stuffed crackers in each others’ faces, just like the sultan did to Jafar’s parrot, Iago, whenever he ran into him.


"Gotta eat to live, gotta steal to eat...
One jump ahead of the slowpokes,
One skip ahead of my doom!"


"Life is your restaurant, and I'm your maitre d'...
C'mon whisper what it is you want - you ain't never had a friend like me!"

And speaking of the villain, here’s an interesting observation: Jafar seems to be modeled after another famous Disney villain – Maleficent from Sleeping Beauty! The animation is very similar, they both have birds, and they both turn into hideous reptiles!




THE ACTIVITY: a magic carpet ride! Check out this video if you want the original…





Not having access to a real magic carpet or the ability to fly between Egypt and China in the space of a minute, we did things our own way.


"I can show you the world, shining, shimmering, splendid...
Tell me, princess, now when did you last let your heart decide?"

"I can open your eyes, take you wonder by wonder -
Over, sideways and under on a magic carpet ride"

"A whole new world - a dazzling place I never knew!
But when I'm way up here, it's crystal clear
That now I'm in a whole new world with you!"

"Unbelievable sights, indescribable feeling!
Soaring, tumbling, freewheeling through an endless diamond sky!"

"Don't you dare close your eyes!" :)

"A whole new world - that's where we'll be...
A thrilling chase, a wondrous place for you and me!"
 

I don’t feel that we really honored the Genie enough, considering what a major part of this movie he is. So, to close, here’s a great introduction to one of the classic comedic wish-granters.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...